Monday, September 14, 2009

Grounded

The trucking business has been a real adventure with the economy. Not as much freight, the rates are lower than they were 10 years ago, and operating costs are up. What I used to earn in 18-20 days before, I now have to do in 25-27 days. It makes it tough to be home as often as I want to, and we keep going, because we have to have hope.

In normal years, the freight volume and rates start to go up in March, and by May, things are very busy. Not this year. Starting the beginning of September, things started to look up, and I have been busy. A trip to MA, and then pick up in NY going to TX. From TX to BC, and then home for a couple of days. The downside is managing the logbook so that I can run legally and be at the places I am supposed to be, when I am supposed to be there.

So I'm driving today, trying to be at my delivery on time. I was over on hours, and was planning on stopping for a long time once I got to my destination, except......for the open truck scale, the ticket, and being placed out of service for 10 hours. Basically, I grounded myself. Plus I get to pay the ticket (Dave Ramsey calls this stupid tax).

There was a time when I know I would have been fussing and fuming about stupid law enforcement, stupid rules, and complaining about how unfair this all was.

I might be learning something in this journey through life. I certainly am not happy about having to pay the ticket, but I have learned how to take responsibility for what happened. I did it to myself, and I am accountable.

It is unfortunate that RaeLynn will have to bear part of the cost of this, because it means I have to find freight to pay the ticket, and she pays with her time away me.

I hear lots of people say that what they do doesn't affect anyone else. That sure isn't true. We are not islands, and the ripple effect cannot be ignored. I suppose I will just have to continue learning until I get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment