Friday, September 11, 2009

Have you forgotten?

An emotional day. I think about where I was 8 years ago. I was delivering freight in Gilroy CA. Waiting at the dock, I turned on my TV just as the 2nd plane flew into the towers. At first, I thought it was a trailer for a movie that was coming out. It horrified me, and I woke up several people with phone calls that morning.

The drive back to WA was surreal. It was also very difficult. I don't remember why I didn't use I-5, but as I drove through the small towns of Northern CA, and up highway 97 in OR, one of the memories I have is of all the flags that were being flown. I wonder where all of the flags are now?

In fairness, I have spent the past day in NJ and MA. There is no shortage of flags here. I see them on the fences that are on the highway overpasses. I see them on businesses. I see them on construction equipment. Most importantly, I see them on houses. They have been there for awhile, not just pulled out because today is the 11th of September.

When my daughter and grandchildren arrive in WA, I know that one of the projects that we will do together is to install a flagpole in front of the house we just moved into. The house we moved out of in 2007 had a flagpole I installed, and we flew the flag 24/7, lit it at night, and I hope that it was noted by my neighbors. It has been difficult to not have a flag flying since we moved, but that will change in the very near future.

One of the greatest pictures that I have is of the Marines in Iraq where they have spelled out WE REMEMBER. It is especially important to me, because my son is standing at the bottom of the first E in REMEMBER.

Take a moment today to remember. Thank you to all of the service members and especially the members of their families who serve and have served our country. If we forget, if we let down our vigilance, then many will have sacrificed their lives in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment